Northwest College

Face coverings now optional in all NWC buildings. Watch for updates this summer at COVID-19 updates

Residency Classifications

The following regulations govern the classification of students as resident or nonresident for the purpose of tuition charges at Northwest College.

Classification Procedures

  • Residence classification shall be made for each student at the time the application for admission is accepted and whenever a student has not been in attendance for more than one semester.
  • Community college districts may require applicants to supply information to document residency status.
  • Residing in Wyoming primarily as a student will not support a claim for resident status.

Reclassification Procedures

  • A student previously classified as a non-resident may be reclassified after meeting the established residency criteria.
  • The request must be received prior to the start of classes of the term in which reclassification is sought.
  • Reclassification as an In-state student will not be applied retroactively to previous terms.
  • A student classified as a resident by one Wyoming community college is considered a resident at all community colleges in Wyoming

Residence Definitions

Any of the following may be used by a student to be classified or reclassified as a Wyoming resident for tuition purposes:


  1. Financial dependent or under the age of 24 with a parent, guardian, or spouse who lives In the State of Wyoming. (Provide most recent tax return for verification of dependent status. Additional documents may be required to show length of residency in Wyoming.)
  2. Graduate of a Wyoming high school. (High School transcript or diploma may be required.)
  3. Earned a high school equivalency in Wyoming and also qualify for a Hathaway Scholarship. (Verification of Hathaway eligibility is required as well as completion of high school equivalency.)
  4. Active Wyoming National Guard member or U.S. Armed Forces member stationed in Wyoming, or am the dependent of one. (Provide military enlistment papers or transfer orders.)
  5. Wyoming resident who was temporarily absent from the State due to military service, attendance at an educational institution, or other type of documented temporary absence.
  6. Awarded resident tuition status at another Wyoming Community College or the University of Wyoming. (Submit documentation showing resident tuition status.)
  7. Spouse or financial dependent of an individual who is determined to be a Wyoming resident pursuant to these Guidelines. (Provide a copy of marriage license and verification of spouse's residency.)
  8. Legal dependent under the age of 24 of a Wyoming community college graduate. (Provide graduate's name, Wyoming Community College, graduation date, and verification of dependent status.)
  9. Permanent home in Wyoming. To determine if a permanent Wyoming home has been established, a variety of factors are considered including:
    1. Evidence that any former out-of-state home has been abandoned
    2. Evidence of full-time employment in Wyoming for a minimum of six continuous months prior to residency determination
    3. Ownership of home or property in Wyoming
    4. Six months of continual presence in Wyoming prior to residency determination,
    5. Former Wyoming residency and maintaining state ties
    6. Reliance on Wyoming resources for full financial support
    7. Wyoming vehicle registration dated a minimum of six months prior to residency determination
    8. Wyoming address on most recent federal income tax return
    9. A valid Wyoming driver’s license dated a minimum of six months prior to residency determination
    10. Wyoming voter registration

No one factor determines residence status. (Documentation must show six months continual presence in Wyoming.)

10. Veteran or eligible individual, as described in 38 U.S. C. 3679 (c) (2). Provide:

a. A certificate or other evidence of the veteran's qualifying service of 90 days or more in the uniformed services of the United States;

b. Documented evidence at the time of enrollment that:

i. The applicant for resident tuition intends to live in Wyoming during the term of enrollment (lease agreement, power bill, etc.);

ii. A veteran using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill® - Active Duty Program) or Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®) as described in 38U.S.C

iii. The veteran was discharged or released from a qualifying period of service in the active military, naval or air service before the date of enrollment (DD214 showing date of discharge) or the uniformed service member is currently on active duty

iv. lf the applicant is a spouse or a child of the veteran, the applicant is a transferee pursuant to 38 U.S.C. 3311(b)(9) or 3319 of the veteran's eligibility for educational benefits.

A person who has qualified for resident tuition pursuant to the above requirements of this section shall remain qualified in subsequent years if the person pursues one or more courses of education while remaining continuously enrolled, other than during regularly scheduled breaks, lives in the state during the term of enrollment, and, if the person is eligible through a transfer of eligibility pursuant to 38 U.S.C. 3319, the transfer has not been validly revoked.


The following students are considered non-residents:

  1. Individuals who do not qualify under Resident Definition section;
  2. Individuals who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents except as provided by Section A.2 or A.3 above.

NOTE: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at


Business Office
Orendorff Building, ORB106


If you were previously classified as a nonresident, you may be reclassified after meeting the established residency criteria. The request must be received 20 days prior to the start of classes of the term in which reclassification is sought.