Northwest College

Frequently Asked Questions


When can I apply for admission?

We encourage students to apply at least two months prior to the semester in which they plan to enroll, however, applications will be accepted anytime prior to the start of a semester.

I submitted my application for admission. How long does it take to process?

You will receive correspondence from us regarding your application as soon as we process it. Please allow up to 10 business days for application processing. Log in to your application profile to view the status of your application and any required admissions documents that we may require. 

How do I apply for admission to Northwest College?

Applying online is easy. The first step is to create an account.

I am going to or have received my GED, are the steps the same for me?

The steps are very similar. In your application, you'll submit your GED test scores in place of a transcript. See Step 2.

I am considering transferring from another college to Northwest, what are the steps I need to take to make that happen?

Transfer students follow these steps to apply. If you have completed fewer than 15 college credits, we will need both your high school and college transcripts. If you have completed more than 15 college credits, your college transcript is all that's required.

What other information do I need to provide to be considered for acceptance?

When will I find out if I have been accepted to NWC?

After your application and transcripts are submitted, you'll be notified within 10 business days regarding your acceptance. Check out your application profile to view the status of your application. 

I received my acceptance letter in the mail — how and when do I register for classes?

Congratulations! We are excited to have you join the Trapper community. You can register for classes by making a one-on-one appointment with an academic advisor by calling 307-754-6101 or attending one of our many New Student Orientations offered. 

Are the requirements the same if I am a home schooled student?

Yes. Home schooled students must submit an application and their home school transcript to be considered for admission.

Do you have an application fee?

We do not have any fees associated with the application...It's free. Complete the application here.

What are your admissions requirements?

You'll find all your particular admissions requirements by identifying and then following the description here that fits you.

Financial Aid

What is Northwest College's Title IV School code?


Who is eligible to receive federal financial aid?

To be eligible to receive federal financial aid you must

  • Have a high school diploma, high school equivalency certificate (GED, HiSET, TASC), or a home school certificate 
  • Be a matriculating student (be accepted for admission as a regular student in a degree program or select certificate program) offered by Northwest College. Contact the Financial Aid Office to determine if your intended program qualifies for financial aid.
  • Be enrolled at least half time (Pell Grants are available to eligible students enrolled less than half time.) You must be at least half time to take out Student Loans, or be eligible for FSEOG or Work Study.
  • Have a Social Security Number
  • Be a U.S. citizen or national, or a permanent resident of the U.S. (eligible non-citizen)
  • Be a citizen of the Freely Associated States: the Federated States of Micronesia and the Republics of Palau and the Marshall Islands; or be in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose
  • Have met the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
  • Not receive aid from another institution for the same period of enrollment
  • Not be in default or owe a repayment on any Title IV federal financial aid
How is my financial aid eligibility determined?

For financial aid purposes, financial need is determined by the following formula:

How Eligibility is Calculated:
   Cost of Attendance (COA)
-  Student Aid Index (SAI)
   Financial Need

Cost of Attendance (COA) is based on government guidelines and average costs. A COA for Pell Grant includes allowance for tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies. COA for Campus-Based funds (Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work Study, & Direct Loans) include the above plus transportation and personal expenses. COA can only include costs of attendance for the student. Additional living allowances for married students or additional family members are not included in student budgets.

Who Receives Need-Based Financial Aid?

Financial aid programs designated as "need based" are Pell and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Work Study and subsidized loans. To calculate eligibility for need based aid: Cost of Attendance (COA) - Student Aid Index (SAI) = Financial Need. Any eligible student may apply for a Direct Student Loan; Subsidized is need-based and interest does not accrue while the student is enrolled at least 1/2 time; Unsubsidized Direct Student Loan is not need-based and interest does accrue during enrollment.

I received a significantly better financial aid offer from another college. Will NWC match the other college's offer?

Not necessarily. Federal Pell Grant remains the same amount at all schools, based on your annual FAFSA application and enrollment status (full-time, 3/4-time, 1/2-time status). Other grants, loans, Federal Work-Study, and scholarships can vary based upon the school's cost of attendance, your enrollment status, your area of study/major, the amount of funds the college has available to award and your academic progress. You should explore all types of financial aid available to maximize your aid package.  Additionally, review your enrollment selections to minimize costs (program cost, textbook purchases vs rentals, residence hall/meal plan selection, etc). 

I'm expecting to receive outside scholarships. How will these affect my financial aid and scholarship totals?

All scholarship awards (NWC and other) must be deducted from your Cost of Attendance (COA), a combination of direct billing (NWC tuition & fees, room & board, etc) and indirect expenses (transportation and personal expenses), based on your enrollment and residency status. Generally, student may not receive aid in excess of their COA. If your financial aid awards for the academic year exceed your Cost of Attendance, NWC scholarship funding may be reduced.

Outside scholarships may decrease the amount of student loan you qualify for. Also, If you are a Wyoming student with the Hathaway Scholarship, the amount of Hathaway may be decreased if your total aid package exceeds your COA.

How are my parents' and my own expected contribution determined?

Cost of Attendance (COA) is based on government guidelines and average costs. A COA for Pell Grant includes allowance for tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies. COA for Campus-Based funds (Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work-Study, & Direct Loans) include the above plus transportation and personal expenses. COA can only include costs of attendance for the student. Additional living allowances for married students or additional family members are not included in student budgets.

The Student Aid Index (SAI) is an eligibility index number that the Northwest College Financial Aid Office uses to determine how much federal student aid you would receive if you attended the school. This number results from the information that you provide on your FAFSA form. This number is not a dollar amount of aid eligibility or what your family is expected to provide. A negative SAI indicates the student has a higher financial need. Northwest College will determine your financial need by subtracting your SAI from the cost of attendance.  The 'FAFSA Simplification Act' replaced the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) with the SAI.  If you do not believe your SAI accurately reflects your family's ability to pay for your education, due to a change in family or financial circumstances, contact the FAO.

What can we do if my parents are unable to meet the parent contribution?

The parent contribution is an estimate of the amount the parent can provide to assist a student during the academic year. The contribution could be in the form of a monthly amount for spending money, paying the student's car insurance, etc. The parent may apply for a Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS Loan) if loan funds are needed to assist a student in paying for items in the COA (see previous question). Or, parents may contact or visit the Business Office to explore payment plan options. Payment plans can be arranged with Tuition Management Systems by calling 1-800-356-8329 or going on line to Additionally, reveiw your enrollment selections to minimize costs (program costs, textbook purchases vs rentals, residence hall/meal plan selection, etc), but remember to discuss enrollment changes with the Financial Aid Office to determine if changes affect your aid.

Do you need my federal and state tax returns as part of my FAFSA?

Students whose applications are selected for verification will be required to submit certain documentation to the Northwest College Financial Aid Office. Taxable income and taxes paid are verified primarily when the student/parents use Option #1) is to submit an Federal IRS Tax Return Transcript  and Option #2) is a signed copy of your federal tax return with applicable schedules .  Please see our Verification page on the Financial Aid portion of the college website for specific details.

State returns are not needed.

How do I contact the IRS?

Visit  or call Toll-Free, 1-800-908-9946.

For local offices, visit the IRS website under Contact Your Local IRS Office:


Will my financial aid package be the same every year?

No. Financial aid is subject to change each year based on a variety of factors;

  • FAFSA information and/or formula changes
  • Student Aid Index (SAI) number from FAFSA
  • Cost of attendance (COA) calculation
  • Other types & amounts of aid or scholarships you are awarded
  • Enrollment status changes
  • Satisfactory academic progress standing
What if my family's financial circumstances change in future years?

The FAFSA iis filed annually to accommodate annual changes in taxed and untaxed income, assets, family size and number in college/university. Most data elements are as of the date the FAFSA is filed, but income is taken from the previous calendar year. Should your family experience income changes between the calendar year used to file the FAFSA and the commencement of the FAFSA award year, contact the financial aid office at NWC to discuss a Special Consideration Appeal based on the specific changes.

My financial aid is contingent on receipt of additional documents or information. Does that mean my financial aid award could change?

If the information submitted on the FAFSA is determined to be incorrect from the information we have requested, you must make necessary corrections. Corrections may increase or decrease your financial aid.

If I change my enrollment selections, will it affect my financial aid?

Very likely. If you change your living arrangements (i.e., live with parents, move on-campus), change your enrollment status (i.e.,full-time to 1/2-time), change the number of credits in which you are registered, fail to begin attendance in a course or withdraw from or fail a class, your aid may be recalculated. Additionally, changes to your enrollment status may adversely affect your financial aid eligibility for your next semester of enrollment and/or next academic year if you fail to meet the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements. Check with the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships before you make a change to determine if it will affect your aid.

When will I receive my financial aid offer letter

Completing the financial aid process from beginning to end takes time. Each student's actual processing time will depend upon when you apply and how quickly you respond to requests from our office and the volume of students who have applied for aid. The process normally takes 12 to 16 weeks from completing the FAFSA to receiving an Offer Letter.

How do I read my financial aid Offer Letter?

If you are eligible for financial aid, we will mail you an offer letter stating terms and conditions of aid programs for which you are eligible. The offer letter will tell you the estimated cost of attendance for the period of enrollment, the Student Aid Index (SAI) and the types and amounts of aid you are awarded. Carefully read the offer letter and all materials included. If you accept the award(s) offered (and you have the right to decline any award), sign one copy of the offer letter as directed and return it to the FAO. Retain the other copy for your records. If your enrollment status changes or if you change your program or housing status in any way, notify our office immediately so we can determine if your eligibility is affected. If your eligibility changes within an academic year, you may receive a revised offer letter advising you of the increase/decrease in funding.

What if I haven't received an offer letter or my aid isn't enough to cover costs by the payment deadline?

Payment fees day is the first day of classes each semester.  If you have not been awarded at this point or your aid is not enough to cover your costs visit the Business Office to explore payment plan options. Payment plans can be arranged with Tuition Management Systems by calling 1-800-356-8329 or going on line to Additionally, review your enrollment selections to minimize costs (program costs, textbook purchases vs rentals, residence hall/meal plan selection, etc.), but remember to discuss enrollment changes with the Financial Aid Office to determine if changes affect your aid.

Can students find jobs on or near campus? / How can I find an on-campus job?

Off Campus

Many local businesses employ NWC students part-time.   Check with the Office of Work-Based Learning, read the Powell Tribune classifieds or check with local employers in-person.

On Campus

You can review a listing of Student Job positions and print employment applications, by accessing your MyNWC portal at the beginning of each semester.  You can also visit our Student Jobs web page (under Types of Aid) to download the application and get additional information.

Do my work study earnings go to my student account balance?

Both Federal and Institutional employment earnings are paid in monthly payments directly to the student employee, based on the hours worked during that pay period. You have discretion to use those funds as needed, including paying towards any outstanding account balances.

How much can I expect to make at a Federal Work-Study or NWC Student Employment job?

NWC pays all student employees at least the hourly federal minimum wage.  Students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week, in all positions combined. Federal work study awards listed on award letters are not guaranteed earnings, but rather the maximum limit the student may earn from those funds.

Do I have to pay taxes on the money I earn through Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study and Student Employment are just like any other job. You may have to pay taxes on your earnings. You should estimate how much you will earn during the academic year and the summer and then complete the W-4 form so that you have the appropriate federal income taxes withheld if needed.

How do I apply for a student loan?

NWC does not automatically package federal student loans, so you may not see one on your award letter. If you indicate that you are interested in borrowing a student loan on the Financial Aid Office's Student Information Form, directions on how to apply are right there on the form (bottom of page 1).  If you decide you need a loan after paper work has been turned in or after your initial award letter has been sent you can complete the following steps:

You can apply for your student loan online at 

Step 1: Complete the Master Promissory Note

Step 2: Complete loan Entrance Counseling 

Step 3: Complete and return a Loan Request Form to the Financial Aid Office

*Note: If all steps are not completed a Federal Student Loan can't be processed.

When will the loans I've accepted on my offer letter be credited to my account?

Loan funds are credited directly to your student account. If you are a first-time borrower, the funds will be available to you 30 days after the first day of class. If you've borrowed previously at NWC and your file is complete and awarded (and your Master Promissory Note remains active), the funds will be available on the walk-in registration day. Additionally, if a loan is requested for only one semester of enrollment, funds will be disbursed in equal portions, one at the commencement of the semester and the 2nd disbursement at the midpoint of the semester. See Financial Aid Policies and Student Consumer Information or the reverse side of your award letter for more information.

If I or my parent borrow student/parent loans, what are my responsibilities?

For those that pursue student and/or parent loans, we remind you that there are repayment responsibilities regarding student loan debt.  Please be cognizant of your loan balances, recognize the requirements and responsibilities surrounding loan debt,and make quality decisions regarding your debt burden. Routinely check with your lenders to ensure you remain in good standing. Remember, you can always access your federal loan information, repayment plan options, and/or find loan servicer information by visiting for more information.

If I am not eligible for financial aid (institutional or federal) due to reasons other than failing to meet the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), is there a financial aid appeal process?

If you are determined to be ineligible for financial aid for reasons other than failing to meet the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss your ineligibility status. Occasionally an ineligibility determination may be due to an error in data recorded by the student on the FAFSA or the student having intended to change the program of study/major but failed to officially change programs within the Registrar's Office or similar circumstance. Please visit with the Financial Aid Office so we can determine if a FAFSA correction or a course of action is available to you to reinstate eligibility. Some paths to eligibility reinstatement may require a substantial length of time before eligibility is regained and not all ineligibility statuses will have solutions to reinstate eligibility.

Still have an unanswered question?

If your question wasn't listed here, review the Financial Aid Office's Financial Aid Policies & Student Consumer Information located at for comprehensive NWC financial aid information or contact the Financial Aid Office at:

Office: 104 Orendorff Bldg

Address: 231 W Sixth St Bldg 1

             Powell, WY  82435


Phone: 307.754.6158 or 1.800.560.4692, ext. 6158 (Toll Free)


International Students

Is Northwest College recognized?

Yes, Northwest College is a fully accredited public institution. Credits earned at Northwest College are recognized and can be transferred to universities and colleges all over the U.S. Please refer to our Graduation & Transfer page for more information.

How will my student be able to pay for his tuition, housing, meals, books, etc.?

This is very easy. Once the student is accepted, if you request it, we will send an account number for a local bank. You can transfer funds to Northwest College through the bank. Or, if you prefer, students can pay with credit cards (VISA or Mastercard) once they arrive on campus. There is also an ATM machine on campus and several banks within easy walking distance of the campus. Students pay their fees one semester at a time, not for the whole year.

Are there buses and trains? How will my student go shopping or get to the airport or around the campus?

Wyoming does not have a public transportation system. Most people have cars. In fact, it is very easy and inexpensive to get a driver's license in Wyoming. However, Northwest College is located within easy walking and biking distance of banks, post office, restaurants, grocery stores and movie theaters. Transportation to and from the airport is always easy to arrange through the college at no cost to the student. Residence Halls and student apartments are located on or near the campus. Students can even rent bicycles at no cost through the NWC Recreational Co-op.

How can I keep in touch with my family member?

This is not a problem. Every dorm room is equipped with a phone connection and is wired for high-speed internet. You can purchase a phone for your room or a cell phone. You can also bring your own computer, although computers are available to students throughout the campus. Students also have private mailboxes in their dorms.

What if my student gets sick or needs health care?

Northwest College has a professional Physician's Assistant on campus to attend to student needs. This service is free for the students. If necessary, the Physician's Assistant can refer students to specialists in town. Powell also has an excellent, nationally recognized hospital with specialized doctors. There are two pharmacies in town. All international students, however, are required to have or to purchase additional health insurance because health care in the U.S. is very expensive.

Does my student have to buy health insurance or can s/he use the insurance we have from our country?

We are happy to accept your insurance if you can provide us with an English translation and if it covers any sickness or injury your student might sustain while attending Northwest College. It must also have a repatriation clause. If we approve your policy, then you do not have to purchase our insurance.

I have heard that Wyoming is very cold and gets a lot of snow. What clothes will my student need and how will s/he survive?

While Wyoming does see some very low temperatures, our winters are comparable to any other area in the northern United States. Even in February, the temperatures can be very mild (10°C/50 °F). As it is very dry and sunny, the snow doesn't usually stay on the ground for very long, except in the mountains. We take the students shopping as soon as they arrive to buy any clothing and supplies they might need. We have found that students adapt to the climate and often miss it when they leave.

Registration & Records

How do obtain my Student ID card?

Student ID cards can be obtained by new students at the Registrar's Office when classes begin.

How do I register for classes?
  • Attend a New Student Orientation.
  • Contact the Enrollment Services Office to set up an individual appointment (307) 754-6101.
  • Returning students can register with their advisor or through the MyNWC student portal.
I completed college classes while I was in high school, how do I transfer my credits to Northwest?

Simply request your transcript be sent from the college you completed the class(es) through to Northwest College. Many colleges/universities have a form on their website called "Request a Transcript" for you to complete.


I forgot my username and/or password for the scholarship application. What do I do?

Remember, your login to the scholarship application is the same as your login for your MyNWC College Portal. If you can remember your NWC ID, you can reset your password here. If you can not remember your NWC ID, you can call Admissions at 754-6101.

How do I write a scholarship thank-you letter?

In addition to good manners, a thank-you letter for a scholarship becomes a treasure for the donor. It is also an opportunity for the student to connect with a person who is passionate about supporting them and who may want to continue that support.


The content of your letter should:

  • Start with an appropriate salutation (Dear Donors of the ________ Scholarship)
  • Identify the name of the scholarship for which you’re expressing thanks
  • Offer at least one or two sentences of personal information about you to help your donor better know you (your major dreams and goals, study focus, interests, hometown, high school activities)
  • Express your gratitude for the gift

The form of your letter should:

  • Be clearly legible if you handwrite a personal note or thank you card
  • Loosely follow standard letter style (for printed letter), including date, salutation, paragraphs and signature
  • Use formal English (don’t use texting language)
  • Include your handwritten signature at the bottom (if handwritten)

When you’re finished:

  • Ask someone to proofread your thank-you for correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.
  • Deliver your finished thank-you to the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office, or attach the thank you to an email and send to
  • Scholarship funds are not released to students until the beginning of the semester and until the appropriate thank-you is received by the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office

You can get personal help writing and editing your letter at the NWC Writing Center.

When will I know how much I get in scholarships?

You can see immediately your minimum Trapper Scholarship award by using the chart for Wyoming or out-of state students to determine your award level. You may be able to add to this total by attending Scholarship Day.

What does "Trapper Provider" mean?

Your Trapper Scholarship package is made up of individual privately funded scholarships. A Trapper Provider is one of these individual scholarships used to fund your NWC Trapper Scholarship. When you complete your scholarship application, you're automatically applied for most Trapper Providers. A few Trapper Providers require extra information from you. If you're eligible for these, you'll see a list of "Recommended Opportunities" when you finish the general application.

Are Private Donor Scholarships added on top of my Trapper Scholarship?

No. Think of your Trapper Scholarship as a package of Private Donor Scholarships. You may receive several Private Donor Scholarships, but they'll all come to you in a single Trapper Scholarship award.

You may be able to add Academic and Activity-Talent Scholarships on top of your Trapper Scholarship.

Students receiving Athletic Scholarships (excluding Rodeo and Soccer) cannot accept Trapper Scholarships.


Orendorff Building, ORB 100