If you are here under an F-1 student visa, to successfully complete your studies at NWC, there are certain rules and regulations that ALL international students must follow. As an international student, you are responsible to:
- Read and understand the international student handbook.
- Check your NWC email on a daily basis.
- Keep your I-20 current and up to date. Do not let your I-20 expire! If your I-20 is about to expire and you need to extend the end date stop by OIP.
- Not work without proper authorization and paperwork. F-1 students are only allowed to work 20 hours on-campus. No exceptions! Any off-campus work requires prior authorization and additional paperwork.
- To print your CISI insurance card and keep it with you at all times. All international students will automatically be enrolled in an insurance policy through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). Within the first few days of the semester you will receive an email from CISI with your insurance card as well as additional information about your insurance plan.
- To maintain full-time enrollment throughout the semester. You must complete a minimum of 12 credit hours EACH semester. No exceptions.
- To inform OIP if you change your major! You will need a new I-20 to reflect the change in your major.
- To bring copies of your passport and I-94 card to OIP after every re-entry into the U.S. You can access and print your I-94 card here.
- To keep your passport valid at all times. If your passport will expire while you are in the United States, check with your embassy or consulate about the renewal process at least 6 months before the expiration date.
- To have your I-20 signed by OIP every time before you travel outside of the United States. This signature along with your valid entry visa in your passport are required for any re-entry into the U.S.
- To not throw away ANY of your I-20’s. You will need to show all of your I-20’s if you choose to apply for OPT or if you want to apply for a change of status.
- To report any change of address, phone number, and/or name to OIP. By law, you are required to report any of these changes within 10 days. No exceptions.
- To go to OIP with any questions or concerns I may have. Your friends may be a great resource for you, but they will not always have the correct information when it comes to immigration rules and regulations and/or academic advising.
You can download a copy of the international student responsibilities contract here.
For additional immigration information and reminders, OIP sends out an immigration newsletter at the beginning of each semester.