North Fork of the Shoshone River
- The 52 mile stretch of the Shoshone River between Cody and the east
entrance to Yellowstone is referred to locally as the North Fork.
- Teddy Roosevelt called it "the most scenic 52 miles in America."
- The North Fork flows through the Shoshone National Forest, the first national forest in America.
- The Wapiti Ranger Station, built in the Wapiti Valley in 1903, was the first
ranger station. Wapiti is the native American word for elk.
- Archeologists found the naturally mummified remains of a male in a
cave along the river in 1962. Carbon dating fixed the age of the
remains at over 7,000 years.
- In 1901 Buffalo Bill Cody established a lodge three miles from the
east entrance to Yellowstone. He named it Pahaska Teepee. Pahaska means
long hair, and it was the Sioux word for Buffalo Bill.