Northwest College

Counseling Services

Faculty Resources

College students typically encounter a great deal of stress - academic, social, family, work, financial, spiritual - during the course of the educational experience. While most students cope successfully with the demands of college life, for some the pressures can become overwhelming and unmanageable. The inability to cope effectively with emotional stress poses a serious threat to students' learning ability.

Identifying and helping a student in distress

The following FAQs may help you assess what can sometimes be a difficult situation and give you specific ideas about what you can do when confronted with students who are distressed.

Frequently Asked Questions
How do I recognize a student in distress?
  • Serious academic trouble: falling grades, multiple unexplained class absences, loss of motivation or investment in school.
  • Exaggerated emotional responses: angry outbursts, sudden or excessive tearfulness or giddiness.
  • Changed social relationships: withdrawal from friends or other sources of support, or sudden over-dependence on people.
  • Disruptive behavior: aggressiveness, violations of others' rights with little provocation.
  • Persistent depression: crying, low energy, irritability, decline in personal appearance, helplessness/hopelessness, loss of control, emotional flatness.
  • Increased physical complaints: headaches, indigestion, nausea, stomach pains, loss of weight.
  • Increased alcohol or drug use.
How can I help a distressed student?
  1. Listen: Support begins with listening.
  2. Empathize: Try to understand the student from his or her perspective.
  3. Normalize: Reassure the student that many college students feel overwhelmed and stressed out.
  4. Set limits on your role: When the support you are comfortable providing doesn't feel like enough, it's time to refer the student to other resources.
  5. De-stigmatize counseling: Take the anxiety out of seeking help. Counseling is here for the students because college is a time for growth and development, which can sometimes be difficult.
When should I refer a student to counseling?

Sometimes, professional assistance can best help the student to manage the demands and development challenges of college. The Student Success Center is here to help. It is time to refer the student to counseling when:

  • You don't know how to help the student.
  • You feel unable to provide all of the support the student needs.
  • You feel that you have reached your limit or have exhausted your ideas on how to help.
  • The student's struggles leave you feeling helpless or anxious.
  • You feel angry or intimidated by the student's comments or behavior.
  • You are spending large amounts of time on the student's problems.
  • The student's issues are too close to home for you, making it hard to keep perspective.
How do I refer a student to counseling?

Here are some pointers:

  • Share with the student your interest in his or her well-being.
  • Emphasize that the choice to seek professional guidance is up to the student.
  • Give the student the option to call the Student Success Center from your office.
  • Offer to call the Student Success Center on the student's behalf while she/he is with you.
  • Refer to a specific person and location (Student Success Center - Orendorf Building, Room 101)
  • Remember that referring to the Student Success Center can help the student begin to help himself or herself.
What should I tell the student about the counseling office?
  • Information the student shares with the counselor is confidential except when the student discloses past or potential harm to self or others.
  • There is no cost to a student for counseling. It is a benefit provided to them when enrolled in Northwest College.
  • Individual or group counseling sessions are short-term and may include referral to professionals outside the college.
  • Typical issues discussed with the counselor include anxiety, depression or sadness, relationship break-ups or problems, sexual abuse or assault, sexuality concerns, stress, eating disorders, family problems, and personal growth.
What do I do in an emergency?

If a student is violent, out of control, or in immediate danger of physically harming herself or himself:

  • Call 911
  • Call Campus Security at 307-754-6067
  • Call the Student Success Center at 307-754-6135
  • If a counselor is not available, contact the Student Services Office at 307-754-6100
  • If the emergency is after 5:00 pm or on a weekend, contact the on call counselor at 307-254-3736 if no answer call campus security at 307-754-6067


Ty Barrus
Student Success Programs Manager & Counselor


Jennifer Cannizzaro
Disability Support & Student Success Program Specialist