ASNWC Constitution / By-Laws
Student Senate By-Laws
Duties and Powers of Officers
Section A. President
- To call for and preside at meetings of the Student Senate with speaking privileges.
- To exercise the right to vote in the event of a tie, or during any committee meetings that the President is a voting member of.
- To preside over Executive Officer Committee meetings.
- To regularly attend the NWC Board of Trustees meetings.
- To serve as a student representative on the Student Appeals Board or appoint a designee from Senate.
- To serve as a student representative on the College Council Committee.
- To make recommendations to the Senate regarding the ASNWC budget in cooperation with the Treasurer.
- To call for and preside over special meetings if necessary.9. To keep and maintain an office of the ASNWC to a reasonable degree which will be determined by the Senate.
Section B. Vice President–Voting Member
- To transact the duties of the President should he or she for any reason be unable to carry out the Presidential duties.
- To exercise the right to vote except when serving as President, when a vote may only be cast in the event of a tie.
- To assist the President in administering the business of the Senate.
- To serve as chair of the Elections Committee or to appoint a chair, with Senate approval.
- To keep the Senate informed of the progress of all Senate committees involved with external activities.
- To serve as a student representative on the Student Appeals Board.
- To serve as a student representative on College Council Committee.
Section C. Secretary–Voting Member
- To keep and maintain in narrative form an accurate record of all Student Senate meetings.
- To compile and maintain an accurate record of all legislation and/or resolutions passed by the Student Senate.
- To manage all Senate/ASNWC related correspondence.
- To maintain a file of additional copies of minutes for future reference.
- To post the Senate minutes in a public place following each meeting.
Section D. Treasurer–Voting Member
- To serve as chair of the Budget Allocations Committee.
- To keep an accurate record of all receipts, appropriations and expenditures of the ASNWC and Senate.
- To submit a current financial report at each regular Senate meeting.
- To complete required paperwork, according to the Business Office, for all expenditures.
Section E. Public Relations/Historian–Voting Member
- To maintain an organized record of all Senate documentation. Records should be kept both physically (in the Senate office) and electronically. If Senate requests information from past events, the Public Relations/Historian will have until a date specified by Senate to search records and report back to Senate.
- To manage all Senate-approved marketing.
Section F. Student Activities Board Chairperson–Voting Member
- To serve as Chairperson of the NWC Student Activities Board.
- To provide the Senate with a weekly report featuring all activities planned through the Student Activities Board and updates of past events.
- To maintain an accurate record of all active clubs, including their advisors and officers and to have a copy of each constitution on file.
Section G. General Representatives–Voting Members
- To represent the interests of the ASNWC.
- To assist the Senate by serving on its standing and special committees, as well as NWC Faculty/Staff committees.