Northwest College

Policies and Procedures

Alcohol & Drug Policies

Drug Policy

Northwest College is a drug-free campus. No student shall possess, consume or distribute controlled substances (except those lawfully prescribed by a medical provider to the possessing student and which are used as prescribed for the medical condition being treated)on the campus of Northwest College, at college sponsored activities or on college sponsored trips. Controlled substances are defined by State of Wyoming statutes and federal laws. These include those categories often known as cannabis, acids, hallucinogens, barbiturates, amphetamines, narcotics or the illicit use of prescription drugs.

Regardless of age, you are in violation of Northwest College’s drug policy:

  • if you are on college property and found in the immediate area where drugs are present, whether having consumed (consuming)them or not.
  • if you are on college property and under the influence of drugs and/or exhibiting drug-related behavior.
  • if you are on college property and have drugs in your possession.

It is a violation of Northwest College’s drug policy if you are at an off-campus, college-sponsored event, and:

—in possession of drugs and/or drug paraphernalia.
—under the influence of and/or exhibiting drug-related behavior.

Students found to be in violation of alcohol and/or drug policies may appeal the sanctions to the appropriate individual or Student Appeals Board.

Students are responsible for complying with provisions of Wyoming law that make it a crime to possess, sell, deliver or manufacture those drugs designated collectively as controlled substances. Any student who violates that law is subject to prosecution and punishment by the civil authorities and to disciplinary action by the college. Disciplinary action taken by the college may be one or more of the disciplinary sanctions listed under Sanctions for Violations of General Code of Student Conduct, including expulsion from the college. Any student voluntarily seeking assistance with a drug-related problem is encouraged to do so and will be treated with the utmost sensitivity and confidentiality. Such assistance may be sought through the college Student Success Center, Student Health Services, the Residence Hall Staff, the Campus Security Coordinator, or community programs.