- John Colter originally named the river the Stinking Water when he
encountered the strong odor of sulfur at a thermal area on the river
near present day Cody.
- The Wyoming legislature, in 1902, changed the name to Shoshone at
the request of area residents who wanted a more positive name for the
- The river was named after the Shoshone indians. Shoshone means
"abundance of grass." It referred to the grass lodges the tribe wove.
- The Shoshone has its headwaters in the Absoroka mountains near Yellowstone National Park.
- Water from the Shoshone is used extensively for irrigation in the Northern part of the Big Horn Basin.